I was beginning to wonder if it was ever going to happen in my life.
– Oh, you’re awake. If what was ever going to happen?
That I should wake up and not know where I am, such that the first logical question to ask is, “Where am I?” I might have to go with “What is that horrible vibrating?” though.
– As it happens, those two questions have the same answer. You are in stateroom 8B of the Airship Loosifunt, bound on its maiden voyage to Harmanlanzi. The vibrating is from the antigrav generator.
Why’s it so loud?
– I don’t know, but I think something is wrong with the ship. The engineers are all in a tizzy going back and forth from the control room to the engine room, and all passengers are being confined to their rooms. Otherwise I’d offer to show you around.
So, how did I get here? I don’t remember anything.
– You’ve been drugged. Your memory will return in a couple of hours. We’re going to spend the intervening time convincing you not to kill me for drugging you and dragging you on this airship in the first place. I promise there’s a good explanation, but I’m afraid I can’t risk you becoming emotional, so I’ve fitted you with a Bracelet of Hold Person.
“Why can’t I move?” was my next question. I suppose I could freak out, but I’m not gonna get uptight about this. Let’s make with the explanation, shall we?
– Thank you for taking it so well. It will become clear why I took the precautions I did. But to start, we have to go back to Vefrin, 461.